Content is king. You’ve read it, I’ve read it—it’s something we all know to be true.
Even though content is indeed a central part of a website’s success, it’s only one part of what actually unlocks a better ranking in Google and conversion. Few people realize that user experience (UX) plays a large role in both. Studies have shown that 94% of visitors’ overall first impression of your business is based on your website design.
Poor design ultimately means bad UX, which increases the chance of people leaving your site, causing you to lose out on a potential long-term customer. This type of reaction can also lead to a higher bounce rate, which has a poor effect on your site’s SEO.
Fortunately, there is a happy middle ground in website design and in keeping Google happy. Here are a few things you can do to help you get there.
With screens being used to view websites coming in almost every size imaginable, having a site that is responsive and can adapt is important for a couple of reasons:
- A site that doesn’t adjust to a smaller screen makes it cumbersome and frustrating to book an appointment or make a call.
- Google’s updated algorithm has made sure that sites that are not mobile-friendly are ranked lower in mobile search results.
In light of these factors, having a responsive site makes sense. If your site isn’t up to par yet, now is the time to make the jump.
Site speed may not seem like that big of a deal, but Google tells us otherwise. In a post from its Google Webmaster Central Blog, Google stated that its internal studies show that when a site responds slowly, visitors spend less time on it. Google also revealed that site speed was added to its ranking algorithm, meaning that the faster your site loads, the better chance it has of ranking higher in Google.
Dealerships are among the few businesses left that can take advantage of speaking directing to a customer on the phone. Studies have shown that consumers find this very important. In fact, 47% of mobile searchers say that if a business does not have a phone number associated with its search results, they will be more likely to explore other brands.
With that in mind, you need to make sure your site and all linking directory listings are updated with your correct phone number. You should take that one step further, however: Your site and your information on directory sites like Google pages, Yahoo! business listings, and Foursquare should all have the same Name, Address, and Phone number (NAP) profile. Google looks at all of these to see if the information is cohesive. If it is not, then your ranking can suffer quite a bit.
Here are a few things to check and do for better SEO and UX on your site:
- Go to Moz Local and check your listing. If your information is not correct, pay for the service, and change your information so that everything is updated.
- Add all your contact information to an area like your footer on your site and your Contact page, and include a Google Map showing your location embedded on that page.
- Enable click-to-call on your business phone number so that mobile viewers can call you without the hassle of keying in your number. You can do this easily by following this tutorial.
You can also go one better and create a notification bar for your site that appears on a mobile device, including a call to action and your clickable phone number.
By focusing on giving your visitors a better UX, you are giving Google what it wants, which will reward you with better ranking. Everyone can be happy: you, Google, and your customers.
Itai Sadan founded Duda to help small businesses connect with potential customers anywhere, anytime and anyplace. Itai started the company from his garage in Mountain View, California, with his high school friend, Amir Glatt, who is now CTO. In 2008 they noticed how the Internet was shifting toward mobile, and the need for small businesses to create mobile-optimized sites to attract customers on the go. Since then, in addition to offering their mobile-only solution, the company has evolved to also offer an all-in-one responsive website builder for agencies and small businesses alike.
Latest posts by Itai Sadan
- Improve Your User Experience to Get Higher Google Rankings and Happier Customers - February 29, 2016